Taking the Metro to get around this weekend? Here’s what to expect.
While there is no scheduled work on the Green or Yellow lines this weekend, extensive work on other lines will make for some logistically complicated metro travel. Read up and plan ahead!
According to a Metro news release:
Blue and Orange Lines
Buses will replace Orange Line trains between Foggy Bottom and Court House and Blue Line trains between Foggy Bottom and Pentagon to allow for tie and insulator renewal, joint and fastener renewal, tunnel leak repair, station sign installation and fiber-optic cable work. Two stations — Rosslyn and Arlington Cemetery — will be closed.
Throughout the weekend, Orange Line trains will operate in two segments:
- Between Vienna and Court House at regular weekend intervals
- Between Foggy Bottom and New Carrollton at regular weekend intervals
Blue Line trains will operate in two segments:
- Between Franconia-Springfield and Mount Vernon Square at regular weekend intervals
- Between Foggy Bottom and Largo Town Center at regular weekend intervals
Free shuttle buses will operate on three routes:
- Orange Line Shuttle: Between Court House, Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom in a continuous loop at all hours the Metrorail system is open.
- Blue Line Shuttle: Between Foggy Bottom, Arlington Cemetery and Pentagon in a continuous loop until midnight each night. Late-night customers should travel via L'Enfant Plaza (see below).
- Virginia Shuttle: Between Court House, Rosslyn and Pentagon every 15 minutes until midnight each day. (No Arlington Cemetery stop.)
Customers traveling via shuttle buses allow 20 to 30 minutes of additional travel time.
Travel advice for customers
This weekend, all Blue Line trains to or from Virginia will operate over the Yellow Line bridge — between Mount Vernon Square and Franconia-Springfield — in addition to regular Blue Line service between Foggy Bottom and Largo Town Center. While bus shuttle service is available, customers traveling between the District and Blue/Yellow stations in Virginia should consider the following alternate travel options:
- Traveling from DC or Maryland to Blue/Yellow stations in Virginia: Take a train to L'Enfant Plaza or Gallery Place, then transfer to a southbound Yellow or Blue train for service to your destination. These trains will depart from the upper level at L'Enfant Plaza and from the lower level at Gallery Place.
- Traveling from Blue/Yellow stations in Virginia to DC or Maryland: Take a Blue/Yellow train to L'Enfant Plaza or Gallery Place for appropriate rail connections to your destination.
Last trains before work begins Friday night:
- Blue Line
Eastbound: Depart Franconia-Springfield at 9:12 p.m., at Foggy Bottom 9:43 p.m., arrive at Largo Town Center at 10:16 p.m.
Westbound: Depart Largo Town Center at 9:11 p.m., at Pentagon 9:52 p.m., arrive at Franconia-Springfield at 10:15 p.m.
- Orange Line
Eastbound: Depart Vienna at 9:28 p.m., at Foggy Bottom 9:53 p.m., arrive at New Carrollton at 10:25 p.m.
Westbound: Depart New Carrollton at 9:18 p.m., at Court House 9:55 p.m., arrive at Vienna at 10:15 p.m.
Last Train Information
- On Friday and Saturday: Last eastbound Blue Line Train from Franconia-Springfield will depart at 2:07 a.m. (22 minutes earlier than normal). Last westbound Blue Line train from Largo will arrive at Foggy Bottom 2:54 a.m., leave Pentagon at 3:40 a.m., and arrive at Franconia-Springfield at 4:03 a.m.Last eastbound Orange Line Train from Vienna will depart at 2:10 a.m. (15 minutes earlier than normal). Last westbound Orange Line train from New Carrollton will arrive at Foggy Bottom 3:10 a.m., leave Court House 3:35 a.m., and arrive at Vienna at 3:55 a.m.
- On Sunday: Last eastbound Blue Line Train from Franconia-Springfield will depart at 11:07 p.m. (22 minutes earlier than normal). Last westbound Blue Line train from Largo will arrive at Foggy Bottom 11:54 p.m., and leave Pentagon at 12:40 a.m., arrive at Franconia-Springfield at 1:03 a.m.Last eastbound Orange Line Train from Vienna will depart at 11:10 p.m. (15 minutes earlier than normal). Last westbound Orange Line train from New Carrollton will arrive at Foggy Bottom 12:10 a.m., leave Court House 12:35 a.m., and arrive at Vienna at 12:55 a.m.
Red Line trains will single track through two work zones:
- Between Twinbrook and Grosvenor to allow for platform reconstruction.
- Between Forest Glen and Takoma to allow for platform reconstruction, track maintenance and fiber-optic cable installation.
Throughout the weekend, trains between Shady Grove and Glenmont will operate every 24 minutes. Between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, additional trains will operate between Grosvenor and Fort Totten resulting in service every 10-12 minutes between those stations. Customers traveling through the work zones should allow 15 minutes of additional travel time.