Meteorologists are predicting that Falls Church could get its most significant snow storm of the season Wednesday.
Predictions early Wednesday indicated the area would see 6 - 12 inches of snow, if not more.
The entire metropolitan area is under a winter storm warning through 3 a.m. Thursday morning (27 hours).
Winds of up to 25 miles per hour, with gusts up to 35 miles per hour, are also expected.
Operating Statuses: Schools, Government
Fairfax County Public Schools are closed, as is the federal government (telework and emergency employees should follow their agency's guidelines for inclement weather).
Falls Church City Public Schools are closed. More information is available here.
The Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court had not made a decision on operating status as of 5 a.m. (See the Fairfax County Emergency Information blog for more on courts, recreation centers, libraries and other government facilities.)
Read more about:
- Driving Tips for Snow
- Worst-Case Scenario: 12 Inches of Snow
Road and Transportation Conditions, Closings
- Use Patch's commute page for live traffic maps before you leave the office.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation keeps a map with all incidents, road work and closures here: 511virginia.org
- Follow @ffxconnector on Twitter for updates about Fairfax Connector bus services and check wmata.com for Metro alerts and information.
- Check in with Fairfax County's Emergency Information blog throughout the storm at
- Natural Gas Emergencies: Washington Gas 703-750-1400 or 800-752-7520. If you smell gas, leave and call 9-1-1. Learn more at the Washington Gas Safety Page.
- Power Outages: To report an outage to Dominion Power, call 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357). See Dominion's online outage map. You should report power outages even if you believe your neighbor has already done so.
- Stay away from downed lines and call Dominion Virginia Power to report lines down in your area. Do not try to drive over or around downed lines.
Phone, Cable, and Internet Service