Patch recently sent questions to each of the candidates running in the Democratic primary for the 8th congressional District. The primary election is June 10. There are currently seven candidates in the Democratic primary race. This is the third of the Q&As, with candidate Adam Ebbin.
1. Patch: What one thing would you hope to accomplish, more than anything, if elected?
Adam Ebbin: My top priority in Congress is passing a comprehensive Climate bill. Doing so would increase funding new and effective clean energy solutions, grow jobs in the U.S. manufacturing, reduce pollution thus improving the quality of our air and water and demonstrate to the world that the United States can truly be a leader in smart policy for the 21st century.
2. Patch: What makes your platform unique from the other candidates?
Adam Ebbin: I have over a decade of experience getting progressive legislation passed in a divided legislature. In Washington, Congress is broken and I will take the skills and experience that I have built to begin to repair the institution.
3. Patch: What is the biggest struggle you've ever overcome?
Adam Ebbin: Coming out as gay and later being elected as the first openly gay member of the legislature.
4. Patch: What has been your biggest achievement?
Adam Ebbin: Passing the expansion of Medicaid to be able to get pre-natal care for immigrant mothers. In the challenging environment of the General Assembly, to be able to work with both Democrats and Republicans to get something done is essential.
5. Patch: Who is your hero (political or otherwise)?
Adam Ebbin: I admire Dr. Martin Luther King's ability to inspire and empower people to take action. From his leadership in the SCLC to the Poor People's Campaign, he truly was a man dedicated to serving all of those who were disadvantaged or discriminated against.
6. Patch: What, to you, is one of the most distinctive qualities about the community of the 8th congressional district?
Adam Ebbin: The diversity of our district and the strengths that come with it.
7. Patch: How would you describe yourself in just three words?
Adam Ebbin: Tenacious, Unflappable, and Liberal
8. Patch: What is your definition of success?
Adam Ebbin: To empower others to impact lasting positive change.
- Q&A with Don Beyer
- Q&A with Patrick Hope
- Q&A with Bill Euille
- Q&A with Lavern Chatman
- Q&A with Mark Levine
- Q&A with Derek Hyra