Falls Church Residents Happy About Peaceful End to Standoff

After more than 28 hours, a standoff on Hillwood Avenue ends with no loss of life.

Laura Brady was cooped up with neighbors and family members of the armed gunman who kept police at bay for more than 28 hours Monday and Tuesday.

Brady, who lives in the 600 block of Hillwood Avenue, said the family of the alleged suspect hoped for a peaceful ending to the standoff. That happened after police used a TAZER on the man around 9 p.m.

“It was very gratifying knowing the police were everywhere,” Brady said by telephone Tuesday. “They did not want to see anyone get hurt.”

As residents gathered behind a police barricade to hear word of a peaceful conclusion to the standoff, Jaqui Ferrara chatted with some of her neighbors.

Ferrara said she’s happy to see the droves of police leave the quiet neighborhood.

“I’m very happy and relieved it’s over,” Ferrara said.

Police were called to a home on Hillwood Avenue Monday around 4:30 p.m. Maj. Mary Gavin of the City of Falls Church police said when police responded to the domestic call, they extracted the alleged suspect’s family and heard a gunshot from inside the home. That’s when the decision to call in surrounding agencies for help was made. City of Falls Church police, along with officers from Arlington and Fairfax counties and Alexandria, waited for the alleged suspect to surrender.

“The priority is preservation of life,” Gavin said.

Negotiators first made contact with the man around 1 a.m. Tuesday and had continued talks through 4 p.m. when Finarelli said the man went silent. Police fired tear gas into the home at that point forcing the man to quickly reconnect with negotiators.

Susan Finarelli, spokeswoman for the city, said the man had doused himself and areas inside the house with gasoline at some point on Monday. 

After hours of negotiations, the man was taken to  with non-life threatening injuries. Finarelli said the man faces multiple felony charges.

Mary Gonda, who lives near the standoff site, said she was glad police continued talking to the man and she's happy the ordeal is over.

“I’m glad no one was seriously hurt,” Gonda said. “I’m glad it was a peaceful resolution.”

Fan Falls Church Patch on Facebook and sign up for email news alerts to keep updated on Falls Church crime and other news. Learn more here!

More on this story: 

(Tuesday night)

 (Tuesday evening)

 (Tuesday evening)

(Tuesday afternoon)

 (Tuesday afternoon)

 (Tuesday Morning)

 (Tuesday morning)

 (Monday night)


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something