The senator and delegate will discuss their legislative priorities for the 2014 General Assembly session. They welcome comments, suggestions, and questions at the Town Hall.
Saslaw, who serves as the Senate Democratic Leader, has served in the Senate since 1980. Previously he served as a delegate, from 1976 to 1980. Saslaw represents all of the City of Falls Church, part of the City of Alexandria and part of Fairfax County. He is up for re-election in 2015 if he chooses to run again. Saslaw's proposals this session, according to Richmond Sunlight, include:
- SB361: Elections; meeting of electoral board following election, adjournment.
- SB362: Entrepreneur-in-Residence Program; created.
- SB363: Charter; City of Falls Church.
- SB521: Suicide; abolishes common-law crime.
- SB522: Disabled American Veterans Highway.
- SB584: Regulation of competitive telephone companies.
- SB585: Electric utility regulation; recovery of costs of new underground distribution facilities.
- SJ88: Celebrating the life of Dr. Jerome Karle.
- SJ89: Commending Dr. Isabella Karle.
- HB48: Firearms; possession following conviction of certain crimes, penalty.
- HB49: Unlawful dissemination or sale of images of another; person is guilty of Class 1 misdemeanor.
- HB75: Absentee voting; allows qualified voters to vote absentee in person without an excuse.
- HB76: Provisional voting; meetings of electoral board to determine validity of provisional ballots.
- HB77: Vote-by-mail system; State Board of Elections to develop pilot program for elections.
- HB417: Virginia Human Rights Act; public employment, prohibited discrimination, sexual orientation.
- HB418: Fair Housing Law; unlawful discrimination; sexual orientation.
- HB419: Tenants; entireties in real and personal property.
- HB578: Campaign finance; statewide and General Assembly candidates, personal use of campaign funds.
- HB579: Charter; City of Falls Church.
- HB799: Virginia Residential Property Disclosure Act; change in circumstances.
- HB801: Vote centers; State Bd. of Elections authorized to provide for pilot program in certain localities
- HB803: Seizure and forfeiture of property used in connection with the commission of larcenies.
- HB935: Civil action for unlawful dissemination or sale of images of another.
- HB963: Secretary of Education; annual report.
No registration is required for this free event. Refreshments will be provided.
For more information on the representatives, please visit www.dicksaslaw.com and www.marcussimon.com.