International Walk to School Day is Wednesday. Last year, 4,281 schools participated in the event. The event started in Chicago in the late 1990s and is sponsored by the Partnership for a Walkable America.
Does your child walk to school regularly? If not, why not? Tell us in the comments!
Five Falls Church schools are included in the list of participating International Walk to School sites. Other schools may be involved. Check with your school for more information.
The five schools listed are (click on the links for more information):
- Haycock Elementary School; contact: Deborah Callsen (703-531-4067) Haycock Walk/Bike to School Day
- J.E.B. Stuart High School; contact: Sharon Ponton (703-824-8907)
- Raider's walk to school
- Longfellow Middle School; contact: Carole Kihm (703-533-2600) Longfellow's Walk to School Day
- Timber Lane Elementary School; contact: Adam X Piceno (703.206.5300) Timber Lane Tiger Trails
- Westgate Elementary School; contact: Julie Easa (703-610-5700) Westgate Walk to School Day
Drivers should be especially cautious around schools Wednesday, with the expected increase in students walking and biking to school.
Wednesday’s weather is expected to be partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. The high temperature Wednesday will be in the mid 60s.