By Patch Staff
With the kids home for the holidays this week, why not get out and keep that holiday spirit going? There are still plenty of holiday event options out there in the DC area:
Want your event included? List it in the comments below.
Lights, Festivals + More
- Bull Run Festival of Lights: Through Jan. 5, just off of Interstate 66 on Route 29 (Lee Highway) in Centreville. The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority says they expect to see more than 30,000 cars drive through the holiday light display before it ends Jan. 5. Find out more here.
- Meadowlark’s Winter Walk of Lights: Through Jan. 5. Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, 9750 Meadowlark Gardens Court, Vienna 22182. Visit Meadowlark’s Winter Walk of Lights to experience over 500,000 LED lights and displays that bring Meadowlark Botanical Gardens to life! Click here for the details.
- "Elf, The Musical." All ages (family-friendly event). Times vary. From $35. Buy tickets online. Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C.
- ICE! featuring `Twas the Night Before Christmas. All ages (family-friendly event). Hours vary. Life-size ice sculptures, two-story-tall ice slide and more. Prices vary. Buy tickets online. Gaylord National Resort, National Harbor, Md.
- National Harbor Light Show. All ages. A new show every 30 minutes at the 65-foot National Harbor tree from sunset until 10 p.m., through Jan. 5. Free. National Harbor, Md.
- Christmas at Mount Vernon. All ages. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., through Jan. 6. Mount Vernon is decking the halls! Twelve Christmas trees, historical chocolate-making demonstration and more. The rarely seen third floor will also be open with "Mrs. Washington" available to meet guests. Buy tickets online. 3200 Mt Vernon Memorial Hwy., Mount Vernon.
- Jingle Bell Carriage Rides: through Jan. 3, 706 Caroline St., Fredericksburg. Jingle Bell Rides are available every evening except Monday, through Jan. 3. Reservations for the carriage rides are recommended. $100 - $120, depending on carriage purchased for the evening.
- Harris Pavilion: Daily thru Jan. 5. Times vary. 9201 Center St., Manassas. In Old Town Manassas, all sessions are open skate, no time limit. $8 adults, $7 for ages 10 and under. $3 skate rental. Season passes available. More info.
- Prince William Ice Center: Two-hour open skate every day. Times vary. 5180 Dale Blvd, Woodbridge. $7 admission, $3 skate rental. More info.
- Ice Skating Pavilion, Reston Town Center: Until March. Times vary. 1818 Discovery Street, Reston. $10 adults, $8 under 12 and older than 55. Skate rental $5. Seasonal passes available. 703.709.6300. 2013-2014 Season - open daily from early November until March the Pavilion floor is transformed into a gleaming ice skating rink. Ice skates and other supplies are available inside the Skate Shop directly beside the Pavilion (behind Clyde's). More info.
- Pentagon Row Ice-Skating: Open now. Details here.
- Washington Harbour Ice Rink: Open now until March from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m., Monday-Thursday, 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday. Adults $10, Children $8, Skate rental $5. Open holidays.